Our education objectives
Our aims are more than visitor enjoyment and we continue to work to further our educational objectives. Our mission is conservation through education and to emphasise its importance, our objectives are published here. We aim to:
- Inform and stimulate greater interest in Britain’s native wildlife and increase awareness of the need and means to
conserve it and its habitats.
- Place public education at the heart of everything we do and make it a key part in every visitor’s experience.
- Develop facilities for schools and other educational organisations to conduct teaching and field studies.
- Advance our own knowledge of British wildlife and share this with both the public and the scientific community.
Bring your teaching to life!
With our collection of over forty different species of native wild animals and our team of knowledgeable keepers, the British Wildlife Centre offers the ideal venue to learn about Britain’s own wonderful wildlife. To provide a safe environment the Centre will be closed to the public during your visit. Depending on your group size other pre-booked schools may be visiting.
School Visits: Reception to Year 7 - 'Animal Encounters'
Our ‘Animal Encounters’ schools programmes are designed to complement a variety of national curriculum skills and topics in science, history and geography for pupils at Key Stages 1, 2 & 3. These visits are based at the Centre with its collection of over forty different British wild animals and birds. This is a unique opportunity for children to learn about Britain’s wildlife – a real life natural history lesson! Our minimum school group size is 25 children (you may bring smaller groups but our minimum charge will be for 25 children). Our maximum number is 90. Dates in the spring and summer terms get booked up to a year in advance, so the earlier you can book, the better your chances of visiting on your preferred date. We are now taking bookings for 2022.
From September 2021 to July 2022: £9 per child
One teacher/adult free for every 8 children. Adults over this ratio are charged at the child rate.
Animal Encounter Highlights
- Just call or email us to check availability of dates
- Complete an online booking confirmation form
- Recce visit for teachers in advance (by arrangement)
- Visit risk assessment document available
On the Day
- The Centre will be closed to the public during your visit, ensuring a safe, inspiring and focused trip
- Each group has a dedicated keeper to escort them throughout the tour and provide age-appropriate animal talks
- One teacher free for every 8 children
- All breaks are taken in one of our shaded or covered picnic areas
- Free coach parking
How to book
Before completing a school visit booking form please contact us first to check availability and to make a provisional booking:
By Phone 01342 834658 (during office hours)
By Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Our Animal Encounters school visits are suitable for Reception classes up to Year 7. We do not take bookings for groups of younger children or widely mixed age groups during school term time.
Please contact us for details on cost, availability and to discuss your requirements.